Step 2 for dumb demo, set up a site where I can post content and syllabi.
For this, I am following the popular Learning Creative Learning course and using Mechanical MOOC, and open-source version of the massive open online course software used by Udacity and Coursera and EdX and others. Their github page is well-documented and made this process a breeze — maybe 30 minutes because I had to install basic things (this is starting from a clean xubuntu installation, well, running on liveusb actually).
|anndd it’s live! http://cryptic-sea-7936.herokuapp.com/ for the next few hours/days, at least.|
Sentences highlighted are the non-liveblog, what you actually want to do steps.
- Spin up an xubuntu liveusb… I really don’t want to try to do webdev on a windows machine
step 1: git clone https://github.com/p2pu/mechanicalmooc
- Install git
- It’s a fairly old xubuntu liveusb (12.10 from lsb_release -a) so some repository 404s initially
sudo apt-get install git
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/git/git_184.108.40.206-1_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 220.127.116.11 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with –fix-missing?
sudo apt-get update –fix-missing
sudo apt-get install git
okay works now.
git clone https://github.com/p2pu/mechanicalmooc
step 2: Spin up a new instance of the heroku cedar stack
- https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/cedar Needs CLI
- Install heroku command-line interfact
wget -qO- https://toolbelt.heroku.com/install-ubuntu.sh | sh
- I get this instance spit out at the end:
http://cryptic-sea-7936.herokuapp.com/ | firstname.lastname@example.org:cryptic-sea-7936.git
step 3: git push to heroku instance
- git push email@example.com:cryptic-sea-7936.git
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
- Right, I need to do the remote key thing https://help.github.com/articles/generating-ssh-keys
cd ~/.sshssh-keygen -t rsa -C "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Copy paste into https://dashboard.heroku.com/account and hit “Add new key”
- cd ~/mechanicalmooc/
git push email@example.com:cryptic-sea-7936.git
fatal: ‘master’ does not appear to be a git repository
- lol not a valid command. okay time to refresh flaky memory
enh that is too manpage like for me to understand, try this instead
- Well this works, hope it doesn’t mess anything up.
git remote add heroku firstname.lastname@example.org:cryptic-sea-7936.git
git push heroku master
- visit site http://cryptic-sea-7936.herokuapp.com/
Hrm, okay, now to fix things up